2nd Interantional Conference on Bowen Family Systems Theory. Hong Kong, 2018. System Thinking in Daily Life: Bowen Theory in Families, Organizations and Communities.
- You Can do Better – Understanding the Emotional Side of the Family Business. (Hong Kong, May 17-18, 2018). Professionals who work with family businesses face the challenge of working not only with the business per se, but also with the family. Bowen Theory provides a lens to understand emotional factors that operate in families and which often obstruct advancement of the business in areas such as professionalization, succession, and change of ownership. What happens in the family affects the business and what happens in the business affects the family. Therefore lawyers, accountants, financial advisors and other professionals are better equipped when they develop a deeper appreciation of the emotional side of the family who owns the business. The theory provides practical recommendations for their professional engagement with the family business.
- Transfering Family Wealth and Non Material Legacy Across Generations. (Hong Kong, May 17-18, 2018). Most families have an idea about how they want to transcend through time. It implies the desire to transfer their wealth to the next generation and also their not material legacy including values, family ties, knowledge, traditions, and social relevance. This is not an easy task to accomplish as it is filled with obstacles, many of which are rooted in the family emotional process and remain invisible until they pose a challenge. Bowen Family Systems Theory describes the factors that increase the chances of a family successfully transmitting their wealth and legacy. For instance, the way family members relate to each other in the nuclear and extended family, the relevance of knowledge of the multigenerational history, and actions to increase the capacity to adapt to life challenges all have a decisive effect on the transfer of the material and non-material legacy.
- Bowen Theory Applied to Latin Famlies (Hong Kong, May 17-18, 2018). Familism is a quality that characterizes the Latin culture. It refers to the importance given to extended family ties and the tendency to maintain proximity with the family group. Bowen theory points at the multigenerational family as an emotional unit which governs individual functioning. The idea that family members influence each other is not foreign to Latin culture. Bowen theory has the power to explain this influence. Another characteristic of Latin culture is collectivism, referring to the value given to supporting the wellbeing of the group. For some people being available to others result in the loss of self, yet, there is another a way to be for the group without paying such a deer price. The concept of Differentiation of Self and the understanding of the togetherness-individuality counterbalancing life forces illuminate this difference.
Purposeful Planning Institute
- Honor Culture. PPI Teleconference. (Date TBD).
The Bowen Center for the Study of the Family, Washington, DC
- Defining a Self: An Interview with Dr. Papero. Annual Clincial Day. Washington, DC. October, 2017).
- Sibling Relationships and Bowen Theroy. Post Graduate Program. (March, 2017).
- Sibling Relationships. Clinical Day. (September 2016).
- What Really Matters When Consulting with Culturally Diverse Families. Clinical Conference. (October, 2015). Much importance has been given to clients’ cultural differences in clinical work. This presentation described ways clinicians can assess how focusing on cultural variables helps to understand clients and to what extent this focus can blur the assessment of individual and family functioning. The presenter discussed her experience in incorporating cultural variables using Bowen theory.
- Exploration of Family of Origin: Advances Toward Objectivity and Neutrality. Clinical Conference. (February, 2015).
- Ethics Seminar. Mental health professionals (2013).
Family Firm Institute. Annual Meetings
- Flipping the switch of the intellect. Master Clas (Chicago, October, 2017). Just as electricity power industry, commerce and global GDP, emotions power humans to action. Emotions represent a very intense force that require regulating mechanisms for it to be useful and constructive, otherwise, it may “burn” the system and make it less functional. The intellectual system represents such mechanism. Integration between intellect and emotion is required when facing important decision such as those that families have to make around managing wealth and/or the family business and transferring wealth and/or the business to the next generation. Consultants from all areas of expertise work with the family emotionality, weather they see it or not. They don’t have to be experts in human behavior to be able to recognize, manage, and channel the emotionality in ways that are beneficial to the families they work with. Emotions and relationship patterns often make rather easy decisions become difficult. This presentation will address what keeps families stuck and what consultants can do to facilitate movement. A 15 min interview will illustrate the efforts of a brother and a sister as they make decisions around mother and her estate.
- Mas que una Reunión Familiar, Esto Parece un Campo de Batalla. Intervención con Familias en Conflicto Basada en la Teoría de Bowen / More Than a Family Meeting, This Looks Like a Battlefield! Managing Difficult Conversations with Families Using Bowen Theroy. Master Class Iberoamerica Group. (Chicago, October, 2017). Los consultores no necesitan ser psicólogos expertos para guiar a las familias del conflicto al diálogo. La Teoría Familiar Sistémica de Bowen marca un camino. En base a la Teoría he definido una serie de principios que guían mis intervenciones. ¡Su efectividad ha sido para mí un gran descubrimiento!
- Myths and Realities of Succesful Latin Family Governance Structures. (London, October, 2015). Living in a globalized world, famiies struggle to build governance structures around culture and legacy. Strategies that worked several hundreds years ago may need to adapt to an Eastern and Westerned combined best practices model. We will evaluate a Latin Family’s 150 year journey to adapt and combine such models focused on the human capital.
Purposeful Planning Institute
- Managing family conflict informed by Bowen Family Systems Theroy. PPI Teleconference. (October 10th at Noon EST). Consultants do not have to be “behavioral experts” to be able to guide families out of conflictual interaction. Based on Bowen Family Systems Theory and the knowledge about the forces that govern family life, a few principles can be drawn that guide consultants in their work with families in conflict. Professionals benefit from incorporating a few simple, solid and practical ideas. These principles are basic and straight forward, yet, the ability of consultants to put them in practice during emotionally intense situations only comes with reflection and practice in both the private and in the professional arenas.
- I love My Siblings, But Now We Also Have to Be Business Partners! An Analysis of Sibling Group Decision Making Based on Bowen Family Systems Theory. (Denver, August 2015). Sharing the dining table with siblings is one thing, but becoming business partners is a different story. Many sibling groups encounter a serious road block when they are faced with the challenge of managing wealth or run a business that has been passed on to them from the previous generation. They are faced with the need to collaborate in new ways while old patterns or relationships are still operating. A systems view of the multingenerational family guided by Bowen theory will provide a way to understand what sibling groups are up against and what they can do to succeed.
- Builiding Blocks to Family Governance. A Case Study. (Orlando, March 2015). Only 12% of family business survive the third generation. 85% (of the 70% that fails) is due to problems with communication, trust and preparation for the next generation. Family business represent 90% of enterprises in the US and 30% of these will change leadership in the next 5 years. To be prepared for this trend, “Building blocks to Family Governance” objectives include:
- Identify the key characteristics of a governance structure to increase communication and trust
- Differentiate the business of the family and family business to improve survival and thrive
- Evaluate a case and strategies to improve preparation for the next generation
Centro Carmel. Dominican Republic
- Applying Bowen Theory to a clinical case. The effectiveness of the familly diagram. Practicing family therapists, and family therapists in training. (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, September, 2017).
- La Teoría Familiar Sistémica de Bowen y sus Aplicaciones / Bowen Family Systems Theory and its Therapeutic Application. Practicing family therapists, and family therapists in training. (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, 2014).
Instituto Latinoamericano de Estudios de la Familia, A.C.
- La Teoria Familiar Sistémica de Bowen y sus aplicaciones terapéuticas. (Mexico City, February, 2016).
Latin Private Wealth Summit.
- El Factor emocional en las familias. Consideraciones para el Trabajo en el Family Office. (May, 2016)
Entrepreneurial Organization (EO)
- Creando el Legado Familiar y Preparando a la Siguiente Generaci[on para Continuarlo.. (May 2016).
- Preparando a la siguientes generaciones en el ámbito del legado familiar. (Febrero 2016).
Inter-American Development Bank (IDB),
- Educar para la Autonomía / An Education that Leads to Autonomy. Family Association (2015)
- El Uso de Aparatos Electronicos y la Ansiedad / The use of electronics and anxiety. Family Association. (2013).
- No Es lo Mismo Estar Lejos que Ester Alejados / The Difference Between Being Far and Being Distant. Family Association. (2013).
- Mi Familia Yo Mismo: Conociendo a Mi Familia para Conocerme Mejor / My Family, Myself: Learning About my Family to Learn About Myself. Family Association. (2012 and 2013).
- Retos y Estrategias de la Adaptación al Nuevo País / Adaptation to a New Country: Challenges and Strategies. Family Association. (2012).
- La Comunicación / Communication. Family Association. (2012).
Universidad Complutense, Madrid, España;
STIRPE, Madrid, España;
Centro Antheo, Valladolid, España;
Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, Santiago de Compostela, España;
Universidad de Deusto, Bilbao, España
- La Teoría Familiar Sistémica de Bowen: Aplicaciones Terapéuticas / Bowen Family Systems Theory: Clinical Applications. Family therapists in training. (2015).
Universidad de Comillas, UNINPS, Madrid, España
- La Terapia Familiar Sistémica de Bowen: Aportaciones Terapeúticas a Través del Estudio de un Caso / Bowen Family Systems Theory: A Case Study. Family therapists in practice and family therapists in training. (2015).
Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, Santiago de Compostela, España
- El Diagrama Familiar: Una Herramienta Fundmental en la Terapia Familiar Sistémica / The Family Diagram as a Tool in Family Systems Therapy. Students of the Master Program. (2015). Collegio Fugoli, Lugo, España;
Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe, Madrid, España
- Cómo Acompañar Hacia la Autonomía sin Sobreproteger: Educación para la Diferenciación / Educate To Attain Differentiation: Autonomy without Overprotection. Parents and grandparents (2015).
Facultad de Formación del Profesorado, Lugo, España
- De Montessori a Bowen: Un Camino de Aprendizaje Sobre el Arte de Educar y Educarse / From Montessori to Bowen: a Journey on the Art of Educating Self and Others. Pre-school and elementary school teachers in training. (2015).
Pan-American Health Organization
- Energy Management: Building Resilience in a Demanding Environment. PAHO employes. (2013).
Instituto Medico Psicológico de Atención a la Familia IMAFA, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
- Sanando mi Pasado / Healing the Past. Mental health professionals. (2014).
- Aplicación de la Teoría de Bowen a la Psicoterapia / Psychoterapeutic Application of Bowen Theory. Family therapists in practice and family therapists in training. (2014).
Centro Carmel, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
- La Teoría Familiar Sistémica de Bowen y sus Aplicaciones / Bowen Family Systems Theory and its Therapeutic Application. Practicing family therapists, and family therapists in training. (2014).
The Child Center and Adult Services, Inc. (now Aspire Counseling), Gaithersburg, MD
- Jealousy Understood from the Perspective of Family Systems Thinking. Clinical staff. (2013).
Catholic Charities School of Social Service, Washington, DC
- Seminar on Family Systems Therapy. Social workers and case managers. (2013).
St. Mary’s Center, Washington, DC
- Clinical Work Based on Bowen Family Sytems Theory. Clinical staff. (2012).
Counseling Center, University of Maryland Baltimore County
- Young Adults Launching into Independence. A Family Challenge. Clinical staff. (2012).